2 large lamb shanks, rinsed
1 cup white beans, soaked overnight
1 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
3 medium tomatoes, cut into two equal pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
1 teaspoon tomato paste *optional
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
3-4 dried limes (limoo-amani), available in Persian specialty stores
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot bring 8 cups of water to a gentle boil over medium heat. Add the turmeric powder, Gently place the lamb shanks in the water.
- In a small skillet, heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the tomato paste, fry for 2-3 minutes until it changes color, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot along with the onions, chickpeas, beans, tomatoes, dried lime, salt and pepper. Cover and cook for an hour over medium-low heat.
- Add the potatoes and cinnamon. Add more water if needed. Cook for another 45 minutes or until meat is fully cooked and tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Remove any bones before serving and pass the soup through a colander.
- Pour the soup into a large serving bowl. Add a couple of tablespoons of the beans, meat and potatoes back to the soup and return the rest of the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Use a wooden masher or potato masher and mash the ingredients until smooth.