2 cups rice
2 cups frozen baby lima beans, thawed
2 cups finely chopped fresh dill or 1 1/2 cups dried dill. (I used the combination of 1 1/2 cup fresh dill and 1/2 cup dried)
1/3 teaspoon turmeric
Dash of cinnamon
Butter or vegetable oil
- In a medium bowl mix dill (fresh or dried), lima beans, a dash of salt, cinnamon and turmeric. Mix well and set aside.
- Wash rice with cool water a few times. Soak in 4 cups of water, add 2-3 tablespoons of salt and set aside for a couple of hours.
- In a large non-stick pot that has a tight fitting lid, bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil. Drain rice and pour into boiling water and boil uncovered for 10 minutes. Test to see if the rice is ready. Rice should be firm in the center and soft on the outside. Drain and rinse with cool water.
- Wash the pot and return to heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil. Place a layer of rice into the pot and then a layer of dill and Lima beans. Then another layer of rice, continue building it into a pyramid shape.
- In order to release the steam make 2-3 holes in the rice with the bottom of the spatula.
- Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes on medium-high heat until rice is steaming, pour 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup of water over the rice. Lower heat and steam the rice for another 45-50 minutes.